East End Baptist Church was organized in 1919 and built its present building in 1947. Because of its role in the civil rights movement of the 1950s and 1960s it has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places (NRHP). From 1958 to 1974 it was pastored by the Reverend Calvin W. Woods one of the Reverend Fred Shuttlesworth’s “stalwarts lieutenants” in the freedom struggle.
It sits on the north side of Sixth Avenue South just east of the Red Mountain Expressway. The African American residences surrounding it have now been displaced by various types of light industry, the Lakeview district, and the medical area. For detailed information on the church see its NRHP Registration Form and photos prepared by Carroll Van West, Linda Nelson, and Marjorie White.
Rev. G. G. Austin was pastor when the church was organized and C. J. Evans was pastor when the church was built.
Read this first post for more on this series on Birmingham churches and their cornerstones.