Last March I overwhelmed my social media feed one Saturday morning with short videos touring some sites related to the story of religion, race, and ethnicity in Birmingham, Alabama. My research assistant Emma Buckles (Samford, religion ‘23) has helped me link those videos and others to the map below. Underneath that is a video that consolidates many of the video posts and links to relevant essays my students have written that are posted on Magic City Religion.
Students in my freshman seminar on race, religion, and the city will be reviewing these as they began their work this semester. I post them here for their use and your enjoyment too.
Selected Essays at Magic City Religion
- Alabama Buddhist Vihara
- Beloved Community Church
- Bethel Baptist Church of Collegeville
- Christ of the Nations in St. Stephen the Martyr Catholic Church
- Fred Shuttlesworth
- Greater Shiloh Missionary Baptist Church
- Jefferson County Courthouse Murals
- Messiah by He Qi at Samford University
- Sixteenth Street Baptist Church, Sunday Worship
- St. George Melkite Greek Catholic Church
- Three Kneeling Ministers Statue at Kelly Ingram Park
- Wales Window for Alabama (Black Jesus at 16th Street Baptist Church)
- Zion Star A.O.H. Church of God