Metropolitan Community Church is in the South Woodlawn neighborhood at 337 64th St South just off Georgia Road. The congregation was organized on March 17, 1938 and its building erected eight years later. The handsome marble cornerstone proclaims it “The People’s Church” and records Rev. R. W. Hayden as its founder and builder.
The cornerstone is indeed on the corner, but is two separate facing stones.
The church supported that Alabama Christian Movement for Human Rights and thus has a historical marker indicating that it was a “Mass Meeting Church.”
The church is one of several “community churches” founded in Birmingham by African Americans in the mid-twentieth-century. It predates and is not affiliated with the denomination known as the Metropolitan Community Churches.
Read this first post for more on this series on Birmingham churches and their cornerstones.