New Zion Cumberland Presbyterian Church was organized in 1921. It is located at 426 5th Street North in Birmingham’s Smithfield neighborhood. The cornerstone on the current building notes its remodeling in 1995-96.
The church is part of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church in America. This denomination was organized in 1874 as a separate denomination from the white-majority Cumberland Presbyterian Church in order to give African American Cumberland Presbyterians more independence. The denomination’s headquarters are in Huntsville, Alabama.
Read this first post for more on this series on Birmingham churches and their cornerstones.